Anyone who’s ever had braces knows there are foods to avoid and foods you can eat. Even with braces people need to make sure they eat an adequate amount of nutritious foods, including plenty of fruits and vegetables. However, some foods get stuck in braces and are very difficult to remove. For this reason, we’ve compiled a great list of foods that you can easily eat with braces, and which foods are not so great with braces.
- Dairy: pudding and soft cheeses
- Grain: sliced bread, pancakes, waffles, soft tortillas
- Pasta: cooked noodles, rice
- Meats: soft cooked meats, fish without bones, other fishes
- Vegetables: mashed potatoes, peas and other soft vegetables
- Fruits: applesauce, bananas and other ripened fruits
- Treats: ice cream without nuts, jello, cake
- Other foods: eggs, hot dogs hamburgers and other proteins
Foods that you should avoid if you have braces:
- Apples (unless cut into pieces before consuming)
- Bagels or hard breads: can bend brackets and break wires
- Beef jerky
- Bubble gum and chewy candy
- Corn chips
- Corn on the cob
- Hard candies
- Peanut brittle
- Raw carrots
Of course, many foods that are cut into small, bite-sized pieces can be good options for braces, even though they are not great when eaten whole. A good example of this is the apple: Eating apples whole can create more problems for braces-wearers than if they are cut up into reasonable, bite-sized pieces.
As you can see, there are many great food options for people who wear braces!
Keep your smile healthy by visiting Fairlakes Family Dentistry for regular check-ups. Make an appointment with Fair Lakes Family Dentistry today by giving us a call or simply schedule an appointment online!